Classes, Field Trips & Guest Lectures
The classes, field trips and guest lecturers are integral parts of this exciting learning experience. During the trip, we will be attending lectures by experts on such topics as foreign affairs, social issues, human rights, architecture and the literary scene. We will also experience the quaint medieval towns and castles of Southern Bohemia where we will stay for four days in the UNESCO protected city of Cesky Krumlov. We will also be traveling for 7 days to the ice caves and mountains of the newly formed country of Slovakia where we will have the opportunity to experience another culture and lifestyle, similar yet distinct from its neighbors in the Czech Republic.
The Program includes the following:
- Tours of Prague
- Kunta Hora Medieval Village and Silver Mine Tour
- Terezin Concentration Camp
- Southern Bohemia
- Cesky Krumlov
- Tatra Mountains
- Ice caves
- River rafting
- Franz Kafka Tour
- Austerlitz Napoleonic Battlefield
- Underground caves and river tour
- Wine-tasting in ancient wine cellars
- Karlovy Vary Film Festival
The accommodations in Prague are at a small family-run hotel in the suburbs of Prague. Each room is shared by two students and has a private modern bathroom. All students are housed at the same location with a program coordinator. The hotel is centrally located, with convenient access to food stores, public transportation and major sights of the city. Each participant may enroll in up to three courses taught by Czech University professors, with FIU faculty leading discussion sessions.
The cost of the program varies and also depends on current tuition and airfare. Financial aid for the Summer semester applies.
The price includes:
- All public transportation in Prague
- Transportation and entrance fees to ALL activities, events and field trips
- All breakfasts and lunches and most dinners
- Daily instruction in the University
- Class reading materials
- Reservations held by application with a $300 non-refundable deposit that will be applied to the program cost.
Professor Barbara Weitz, Director
Department of English
Florida International University
Miami, Florida 33199
Tel. # 305-348-3294